I don't know if there is any less of an understatement to simply say that there is some link between reading and writing. There is a PROFOUND link between these two. Over the past year between my PIPing and Student Teaching and my job at St. Gregs, I have found that most often times that those students who may have a reading disability laso lack many important skills in their writing. That is why it is important to use many of the techniques used in these chapters with your students. I was intrigued by the example of changing the meaning of a sentence by only one word because I used that activity in my Student teaching. We also changed the meaning of a sentence by adding one word. The students love these techniques and enjoy them as well. I thought a bunch of the ideas they had with partner writing were useful and great ideas. Building a vocabulary is something that I have very little experience with. Most of my teaching has been in the older grades so it was very informative. Finding out about the different sight words and where they all fit in the scheme of writing was also very useful. I find that even today i am still building my vocabulary and find myself using the thesaurus on my computer often. So building vocabulary is something that is continually ongoing throughout ones life. Vocabulary and the link between reading and writing are both important parts of shcoling for all children.
No comments:
Post a Comment